Ectodermal Dysplasia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Meeting Place For People With ED!

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
We appreciate your continued support - please spread the word!

I'm so happy!!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Lisa

Lisa

Female
Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2006-07-22

I'm so happy!! Empty
PostSubject: I'm so happy!!   I'm so happy!! EmptyThu 24 Aug 2006 - 21:22

After years of treatment at Birmingham dental hospital I was discharged not really happy.

I still had a bottom set of dentures, a bridge which wasn't too bad, some milk teeth which I hated and some gaps. I was told when I was little that I would have a perfect set off teeth by the time i was 20ish.

I got a fear of the dentist after being discharged and it was a fair few years before my mum got me booked into her dentist for a check up. I had to have a few fillings but nothing major. Then I got an abscess forming under one of my milk teeth...great just what i needed!

Anyway the dentist took it out and said he would refer me back to Birmingham... but not to get too excited as they would either bridge the gap or if i was lucky put an implant in.

I saw a great dentist when I went....he had a look and said ok go have an x-ray and come back up and we will have a look. He sat and looked at the x-ray and I though I was a lost cause...

He then said..Ok...we can either bridge it or,... if you want we can give you braces, get rid of your dentures, take out your milk teeth and bridge, put in bone grafts and give you implants and veneers... affraid I nearly started crying!!! It will take a bout 4 years but the choice is yours.. OMG.. I can't belive it I had wanted this since I was little!! I said YES PLEASE!!!

Just have to wait for an appointment now.. I really can't belive it and it makes me so more positive about my son Ben's future he only has 6 teeth, not that he's bothered at this point in his life but at least he will have the choice when he is older!
Back to top Go down
Mike
Site Admin
Mike

Male
Number of posts : 188
Registration date : 2005-12-09

I'm so happy!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm so happy!!   I'm so happy!! EmptyFri 25 Aug 2006 - 13:27

Thats fantastic news Lisa, So happy for you!! If it's what you've wanted for all this time then why wouldn't you be!?
I've heard a lot of mixed feelings on the implants and I know that, in my case, I probably wouldn't have them done. I get on just fine as I am, but thats just my opinion. cyclops
Back to top Go down
http://ectodermaldysplasia.coolbb.net
Mike
Site Admin
Mike

Male

I'm so happy!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm so happy!!   I'm so happy!! EmptyThu 30 Nov 2006 - 15:10

Have you had your appointment yet Lisa?
Back to top Go down
Lisa

Lisa

Female

I'm so happy!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm so happy!!   I'm so happy!! EmptyThu 30 Nov 2006 - 15:15

Hiya

Yeah I have.. On a waiting list for braces now! X
Back to top Go down
beccione1

beccione1

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2008-02-06

I'm so happy!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm so happy!!   I'm so happy!! EmptyWed 6 Feb 2008 - 16:17

god thats really awful i was promised exactly the same thing luckily the hospital i was reffered to was leeds and i finally got what i wanted had my implants in last year i have a denture for the top as i no longer want implants there as it would require a bone graft and it isn't worth it really cos my teeth look amazing as they are so glad you finally managed to get yours sorted xxxx
Back to top Go down
Lisa

Lisa

Female

I'm so happy!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm so happy!!   I'm so happy!! EmptyTue 14 Oct 2008 - 19:37

Still waiting to get my teeth sorted but the geneticist I saw last week is going to phone the dental hospital for me to see how long I will have to wait... fingers crossed!
Back to top Go down
Julie

Female
Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2007-10-23

I'm so happy!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm so happy!!   I'm so happy!! EmptyTue 14 Oct 2008 - 20:22

Hi Lisa,
just noticed this bit of the forum has the answer I wanted about your son's teeth - 6! Sorry about that.
You must have got the email from Mike about the forum too as i see you've been busy posting messages this afternoon!
I only found out I had (carried) ED when my son was 1. A lot of my teeth are my baby teeth and the front ones are capped. I live in fear of them falling out or something terrible happening to them. I had thought of dental implants when I started my son's dental appointments as there was a consultant who suggested basically taking everything out and starting from scratch with implants. But I decided not to do anything until I had to. And then last year I was going to have a couple of the veneers taken off and replaced and I spoke to the dental hospital again in Edinburgh and they told me not to. They said to leave everything alone until something breaks. I just have this horror of them coming out and I'm not brave enough to face the world, which I know is ridiculous by the way, as Daniel faced the world with no teeth at all. I think this is the society we live in and how appearances are so important. I'm ashamed of my attitude but I think it is to do with how we were brought up in the 70s and keeping things like that private in the family. We never discussed my teeth openly, which is the opposite of how we treat Daniel and he's obviously a much better person than I am!
Back to top Go down
Lisa

Lisa

Female

I'm so happy!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm so happy!!   I'm so happy!! EmptyMon 25 Jul 2011 - 23:59

Still waiting... Think I might go private Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
Mike
Site Admin
Mike

Male

I'm so happy!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm so happy!!   I'm so happy!! EmptyTue 26 Jul 2011 - 0:10

Lisa wrote:
Still waiting... Think I might go private Crying or Very sad

Awww Lisa!! No progress??
Back to top Go down
Julie

Female
Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2007-10-23

I'm so happy!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm so happy!!   I'm so happy!! EmptyTue 26 Jul 2011 - 14:49

Aw Lisa, sorry to hear that. Is your own dentist able to chase them up at all, or have they said why there is such a delay? When my nephew lived in the Midlands he got treated by Daniel's dentist in Edinburgh! Fancy a trip up north?!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

I'm so happy!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm so happy!!   I'm so happy!! Empty

Back to top Go down

I'm so happy!!
Page 1 of 1